JabRef is an open source bibliography reference manager. The native file format used by JabRef is BibTeX, the standard LaTeX bibliography format. JabRef runs on the Java VM (version 1.6 or newer), and should work equally well on Windows, Linux and Mac OS X.
BibTeX is an application and a bibliography file format written by Oren Patashnik and Leslie Lamport for the LaTeX document preparation system. General information can be found on the official BibTeX homepage.
Bibliographies generated by LaTeX and BibTeX from a BibTeX file can be formatted to suit any reference list specifications through the use of different BibTeX style files. There currently is no BibTeX style database. See StackExchange for more information.
You can run JabRef instantly with Java Web Start now.
- Advanced BibTeX editor
- Detailed editing of BibTeX entries.
- Search functions
- Search a pattern in the whole bibliography.
- Classification of entries
- You can group entries explicitly, by keywords or any other fields.
- Import of various formats
- BibTeXML, CSA, Refer/Endnote, ISI Web of Science, SilverPlatter, Medline/Pubmed (xml), Scifinder, OVID, INSPEC, Biblioscape, Sixpack, JStor and RIS.
- Built-in and custom export formats
- HTML, Docbook, BibTeXML, MODS, RTF, Refer/Endnote and OpenOffice.org.
- Customization of BibTeX fields
- You can add your own fields to any BibTeX entry type.
- Customization of the JabRef interface
- Fonts, displayed fields, etc.
- Integrates to your environment
- Launch external applications: PDF/PS viewers, web browser, insert citations into LyX, Kile, LatexEDitor, Emacs, Vim and WinEdt
- Automatic Key generation
- BibTeX keys can be automatically generated in a customizable way from document data, e.g. using author names, title and year.
- Search Medline, CiteseerX, Google Scholar, IEEEXplore, and arXiv
- Entries can be searched in external databases and BibTeX entries can be fetched from there
- Support for XMP Metadata in PDFs
- Improve the workflow of sharing PDFs and bibliography information
- JabRef menus and dialog boxes are translated into Chinese (simplified), Danish, English, French, German, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Norwegian, Spanish, Turkish and Vietnamese.
- Plugin functionality
- Please see our resources page for details.